ClinDATC is a Electronic Data Collection (EDC) software with basic Clinical Data Management (CDM) functions. We understand that there are already such systems available through online platform, open-source download and pay-to-support plans. However, the development of ClinDATC is never about matching the features offered by these well-known data collection software. What we are after for the end-user is a data collection software that is just essential enough to run a research study. We choose only to include the necessary features and tools thus achieved an overall minimalist and clean interface with minimum requirements (only LAMP or LEMP). It has been used in local collaborative cohort and observational studies involving more than 1,000 subjects.
- It works fast due to its simple and lightweight nature.
- It is sleek because it is less than 800 kb.
- It is extendable via plugins/modules.
- Open source and free to use.
Visit GitHub (here) to download the FULL version!
The framework consists of mainly Bootstrap, a sleek, intuitive, and powerful mobile first front-end framework for faster and easier web development. Other components includes:
- LAMP or LEMP (Linux + Apache/ Nginx + PHP + MySQL/ MariaDB Database)
- HTML5 + CSS + jQuery
- Intuitive data collection system with validations and prompts to ensure data quality
- Cross-platform accessibility, regardless the operating system, browser and platform (desktop, laptop and mobile), as long as stable Internet connection is available
- Responsive and mobile first fluid grid system based on Bootstrap
- No restriction to number of users (study participants and administrators) with self-retrieve of lost password
- Single time point and multiple time point study supported
- Back-end logging for audit purpose: SQL statements and time stamps of user login and modification(s) of all variables
- Global simplified Group Access for ease of control
- Basic web settings to control how ClinDATC looks and behaves
- Permission for study administrators to complete instruments on behalf of study subjects in the cases of completed hard copy, lack of Internet connection and less tech savvy study participants
- Supports plugins and much more…
There are two suites of tools available for Administrator and Developer respectively. The Administrator (or Coordinator) is commonly tasked to handle day-to-day tasks and reports to the Research Manager. Tools includes:
- Register participants (or batch register) to participants management
- Progress reports via data query, extraction and dump (CSV)
- Designating the start and end date of each visit for window period control
- Disabling study participant’s access with a single button
The Developer has extended tools (beside the Administrator). The developer behind ClinDATC has one objective in mind while building the developer’s suite of tools. It is to do everything via GUI (and not from the Command Line or phpMyAdmin). The following can be achieved via GUI:
- Insert or update SQL parameters for a questionnaires (e.g. title, number of pages)
- Insert or update time points
- Tagging of questionnaires to certain time point(s)
- Site settings (e.g. research study name) and research settings (order of questionnaires display, such as sequential or random)
While ClinDATC does not support creating questionnaires via GUI or Excel upload, it DOES have built-in functions (short codes) to create questions and initiate basic validations for the average PHP developer. This ‘traditional’ method allows the developer to have absolute control over the questionnaire,
- Write any PHP codes (e.g. if, else, while, for, strcmp, substr, is_int, in_array) for complicated validations
- Ability to design questionnaires with >95% look-alike v.s. hard-copies
- Full control over questionnaire layout with Bootstrap grid template
- Support the following common input types (see Type of Questions for complete list)
- Hidden type “hidden”
- Radio buttons type “radio”
- Drop down/Combo
- Checkbox type “checkbox”
- Text type “text”
- Range type “range”